I've been meaning to share this recipe with you for a few weeks now but life got in the way. I guess that happens sometimes. I lost my grandpa in an awful act of violence and it's been difficult to deal with. Luckily I have the most supportive family and friends and we've all come together to help one another. I actually made this pie for my grandpa with the abundance of avocados his tree was producing. I had one bite (to make sure it tasted good of course!) then I took the rest to grandma and grandpa so they could enjoy it and share it with their visitors. I think he liked it. Although my grandpa was the type to say everything you made for him was "his favorite" even if it was his least favorite. I wish you could have met him. Gosh he was just the most generous and loving person. He'd do anything for anyone. Hard working and humble. I plan to carry on his legacy and strive to be more like him each and every day.
So back to this pie with the abundance of avocados. That's right, my grandpas tree literally produces hundreds. More than we could eat. That's why I had to get creative! I'd heard rumors of "avocado pudding" and although when I mentioned it people thought I was crazy, I thought it sounded like a delicious idea. And since they were my grandpas avocados and I knew how much he liked his pie, I came up with this yummy chocolate cream pie.
Chocolate Cream Pie
Prep 25 min
Cooking 15 min
Servings 1 pie
For the crust:
For the chocolate pudding filling:
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the coconut whipped cream topping:
- 1 15 ounce can of full fat coconut milk (chilled in the refrigerator overnight)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Follow the instructions for making and baking the pie crust HERE
- In a food processor add all of the ingredients for the chocolate pudding filling and blend for a minute or two until everything is combined and smooth
- Prepare the coconut whipped cream topping next. The Kitchn has a great tutorial on how to make whipped cream from a can of coconut milk HERE
- Scoop the chocolate pudding filling into your pie crust and top with the coconut whipped cream topping. I added some dark chocolate shavings to the top of my pie.
- Keep covered in the refrigerator and consume within 2 days.