This recipe is inspired by The Charming Detroiter. I came across her blog recently and she had a post for the most incredible trio of non traditional bruschetta and I just wanted to devour them off of my computer screen. I had most of the ingredients she’d used in my house and I just wanted to make a simple paleo version. I decided to slice up and bake a sweet potato until it was a bit crispy, and then I topped it with all the tasty things I could come up with.
It doesn’t get much better than bacon and avocado and almond butter and smoked salmon and some farm fresh hard boiled eggs! This recipe literally combines all of my favorite foods into one epic brunch.
Breakfast Bruschetta on Sweet Potato Slices
Prep 15 min
Cooking 30 min
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 avocado, smashed
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Wash and thinly slice the sweet potato. The thinner they are, the crispier they will turn out. I made 12 slices.
- Toss the slices in the olive oil and sprint with salt. Then lay the slices out on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip them over and cook for another 15 minutes (or until fully cooked and slightly crispy), times may vary depending on how thick your slices are.
- While the sweet potatoes bake prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Place the 2 eggs in a pot and cover with cold water by about an inch. Bring to boil over medium heat. Cover them with a lid and remove them from the heat. Let them set for 10 minutes, then transfer to a bowl. Once they've cooled peel them and slice in half.
- Place the bacon in a pan over medium heat and cook until they've reached your desired crispiness. Transfer to a paper towel and pat dry.
- Assemble 4 sweet potato slices with smoked salmon, half a hard boiled egg, chopped onion and pepper.
- Assemble 4 sweet potato slices with smashed avocado and a slice of bacon.
- Assemble 4 sweet potato slices with almond butter, a slice of banana, sliced almonds and a drizzle of honey.