The sun has been shining here in California for a few day, although I hear the rain is coming again, but nevertheless spring is on my mind and I can’t wait to light up the barbecue more. I decided it was time to come up with an epic burger recipe and this one certainly hit the spot! A beef burger with cilantro avocado mayo and grilled onions on a brioche burger bun made from Zenbelly’s Everything Dough ebook (game changer). And of course a side of sweet potato fries. You could also wrap these burgers in lettuce, but if you’ve been craving a real bun like I was this is by far the best gluten and grain free bread I’ve made. Zenbelly’s recipe uses cassava flour and potato starch and if you get her book there’s also some killer cinnamon rolls I highly recommend trying.
I love beef. And how beautiful is that bun?!
You can dip the fries in your leftover cilantro avocado mayo, or just pile everything on your burger and enjoy!
Beef Burgers with Cilantro Avocado Mayo
Prep 20 min
Cooking 40 min
For the burgers:
- 4 brioche burger buns
- 1 & 1/2 lbs ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Mixed lettuce
For the cilantro avocado mayo:
- 1 & 1/2 cups paleo mayonnaise (check out this great how to video from Well Fed)
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
For the sweet potato fries:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- I would suggest you prep your brioche burger buns first and get them in the oven. They bake at 375F for 14 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- In a large bowl combine the sweet potatoes, olive oil, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until the fries are coated evenly.
- On a baking sheet spread the fries out in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes, flip them, and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes bake prepare the burgers, onions and mayo.
- Preheat your grill to high heat
- Season the ground beef with salt and pepper and form into 4 round patties
- Grill for approximately 5 minutes, then flip them and cook for another 5 minutes
- In a pan on the stove sauté the chopped onions in the 1/2 tbsp of olive oil until fully cooked
- In your food processor blend the paleo mayo, avocado, cilantro and lime juice
- Assemble your burger and enjoy!