I've had a craving for pizza lately and I wanted to make something that I wouldn't feel guilty eating all of the time with good macros and delicious flavor. I was shopping at the farmers market in Midtown Sacramento last week and they had some really good looking zucchini and I thought that would be fun to use as a vegetable crust base! Most of the zucchini crusts I've seen use cheese to bind it together, but I don't like cheese and I also wanted it to be dairy free. So I played around with a starchy gluten free flour (cassava) and egg whites and it turned out soooo good! I topped it with some asparagus, peppers, spinach and eggs that I bought while I was at the market and bacon of course.
Zucchini Crust Pizza
Prep 20 min
Cooking 25 min
For the crust:
- 2 large zucchini, spiralized (or shredded)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
For the toppings:
- 4 pieces of asparagus, sliced
- 2 mini sweet peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and choppped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup spinach
- Preheat oven to 500F with your baking sheet inside of the oven
- Toss the zucchini in a large bowl with a teaspoon of salt and set aside for 15 minutes. Then wrap the zucchini in a cheese cloth to squeeze out all of the excess moisture.
- Once you've removed all of the moisture return the zucchini to your bowl and mix with the egg whites, egg, cassava flour, oregano and basil
- Remove your baking sheet from the oven and line with a piece of parchment paper. Form your crust into a thin circle on the sheet and place back in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 400F.
- Spread the marinara sauce on your pizza then top with the asparagus and peppers. Cook for 8 minutes
- Remove from oven and crack the two eggs carefully on top of the pizza. Add the bacon as well and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes (or until the eggs are cooked)
- Top with chopped spinach
PIN IT HERE!