Volume, volume, volume. I’m always talking about this with my clients. If you’ve ever eaten at a caloric deficit you know the importance of vegetables. You can put a lot on your plate for minimal calories. They’re filling, full of fiber, and take our bodies longer to digest, keeping us satisfied longer. But I’ve also learned through my time as a nutrition coach that some people just don’t like veggies. So I’m on a quest to make them taste good and to create more recipes using them in clever ways. I’m like your mom sneaking vegetables into your dinner without you even realizing that you’re eating them. This recipe is basically a pumped up mashed potato (think double the amount of food for practically the same amount of carbs). Of course if you need a super low carb side dish you could double the cauliflower and skip the potatoes, but this recipe will rock your world as is.
Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower
Prep 10 min
Cooking 15 min
1 1/2 lbs potatoes (I used red potatoes with the skin on)
1 1/2 lbs cauliflower
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and cut into quarters
- Chop the cauliflower into florets if they’re not already
- Place the potatoes and cauliflower in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them
- Add the salt and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook at a low boil for about 15 minutes (until the potatoes and cauliflower easily break apart when pierced with a fork)
- Drain the water out, then add the rosemary, garlic, butter and almond milk and mash (I used my electric stand mixer to get a creamy puree.
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat 2 g
Sodium 192 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 3 g
PIN IT HERE!